Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Playground Politics

The 4th of July is over, but I'm not done with my political poop just yet. I have a question for Kelly Quinn and her friends to consider: Let's pretend there's a strong, popular kid who everyone likes and admires. Then, there's a big, mean kid who is a real bully. Lastly, there's the small kid that the bully picks on. I hope this scene sounds familiar.

Here's my question: Should the popular kid help the small kid?
The popular kid has the ability to get the bully to lay-off. But, it's not like he's related to the small kid, or obligated in some way. The popular kid could see the bully kid beating up the small kid and walk by while the small kid gets his brain crushed.

I mean, the popular kid has lots of other stuff to do: football, homework, volunteer activities, chores, parties, family stuff etc... no shortage of cool stuff. And if he helps this one small kid, what if all the other small kids being bullied want his help? What if he's helping some small kid and then his cousin or brother gets bullied and needs his help, but he can't help his brother because he's protecting a bunch of other kids? You see the dilemna...

So, I'll ask my question another way: Just because the popular kid can help the small kid, should he help the small kid?

No comments:

Post a Comment