Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Geek is the new Black

I was speaking to a totally cool, pretty, trendy woman at work the other day. She blushed when she professed that she is actually a geek. In fact, I'm pretty much surrounded by geeks. It seems Geek is the new Cool, and this is a very good thing, I think. When I was a kid Geeks were outcasts. Now, the non-geeks are working for the then-geeks. The then-geeks paid a high price of unpopularity, ridicule and awkwardness...(If you're a kid and you don't know what I'm talking about, add Revenge of the Nerds to your Netflix list). They are probably spending (or have spent) big bucks on therapy from a crappy childhood, but they can afford it, right? I wonder if they think their current socio-economic status was worth the price.

So, how did this wonderful transformation of Geek being Cool occur? There are probably many factors, but I think the media may be thanked. Let's take Zoey 101. They still have the quintessential nerd in Quinn (and her awesome Quinventions), but she is in the "in crowd". Even Zoey, the most popular and beautiful girl in school is super smart. This is a great role model for today's youth. (Of course, then Jamie Lynn got pregnant at seventeen.....go figure.) We also have Hermione Granger, Hannah Montana and iCarly who are all booky, totally cool and haven't conceived children. (And I really hope they don't any time soon.)

Yet still, other shows like Drake and Josh reinforce the old stereotypes. Drake is cool, popular with the girls, but a poor student, while Josh is the opposite. Zack and Cody fall into this pattern too. However, both Josh and Cody have grown cooler with age despite their geek handicap. Whatever the reason for this transformation, I'm glad. I think Geek should be cool, good grades rewarded, extra curricular activities applauded, science made sexy, and computer skills appreciated because these are solid building blocks for the future success.

(Becky, as one of my coolest and geekiest friends, I expect you'll comment.)

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to see that TV is catching up to the "real" world. Girls can have it all--good grades, good hair and cool clothes. Let's face it, you can date the captain of the football team, but you marry the computer genius! And it's all because "geeks are hot"!

    ReplyDelete