Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Witch and Wizard

I love James Patterson books. Specifically, I love them on the beach, in the car, and on my ipod while walking. A lot of my literary-type friends criticize Patterson that his characters are shallow, chapters too short, and he's all about the plot. This is becasue writers-types like "character-driven" stories where everyone grows and changes. There are characters I really like, care about and return to time and time again: Amelia Bedilia, Harry Bosch, Stephanie Plum, Junie B Jones. But, often for me, (especially in the car, on the beach and while walking) it's all about page turning. That's what Patterson is awesome at.
This is the first of his teen projects that I've read. And in Patterson fashion, it didn’t disappoint.

The 411 From JamesPatterson.com: This is the astonishing testimonial of Wisty and Whit Allgood, a sister and brother who were torn from their family in the middle of the night, slammed into prison, and accused of being a witch and a wizard. Thousands of young people have been kidnapped; some have been accused; many others remain missing. Their fate is unknown, and the worst is feared—for the ruling regime will stop at nothing to suppress life and liberty, music and books, art and magic...and the pursuit of being a normal teenager.

The Recommendation: Holy page-turner, Batman. I read this in four days on my Kindle. I think it's best suited for high school age teens because of the mild violence. This story is great fodder to discuss “what ifs.” -- The "what-ifs" that are possible, and have been demonstrated in history, ie: The Holocaust, the Salem Witch Executions, and prosecution that sadly takes place around the world today. It's entertaining, but I found it to elicit some deep thoughts. I think this would be a great discussion/study piece for high school classes. It's also a great adult read.

No comments:

Post a Comment