Thursday, August 27, 2009

My reading list - So many books, so little time.

I have a love/hate relationship with the book store. I love snooping and seeing the latest and greatest. I also love perusing the shelves of classics and thinking,
Read that - loved it
Read that - hated it
I was supposed to read that for some class and watched the movie instead.
It's kind of like visiting old friends, and makes me feel warm and cozy inside. I can spend hours in Borders or Barnes and Noble.

But, then it starts. You see, I'm a list-maker, and I can't rest until everything on my list is crossed off. And by the time I left my most recent quickie-trip to Borders, I'd made a new list of books I simply must read:

The Lost Symbol, Dan Brown - Let's face it DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons were awesome before Tom Hanks starred in the movies, which were also awesome.

Smash Cut, Sandra Brown - Sandra Brown's last book, Ricochet, I just couldn't put down.

The Alchemist, Paulo Coeho - Never heard or it, never heard of the author, but oh, that cover...it just called to me.

Being Nikki, Meg Cabbot - I admire what Meg Cabbot has done for YA fiction, and I want to get my hands on her latest.

The Mysterious Benedict Society, Trenton Lee Stewart - I'm not recalling the cover, but that title...can't stay away from it.

A host of books by LJ Smith - These are YA vampire books. I'm not ashamed to admit I'm caught up in the vampire craze. Actually, I was a fan before it was cool. I remember the occassional afternoon black and white vampire movie from my childhood...oh, the chills.

The Coffin Club (and others,) Ellen Schrieber - Same comment as above....Come on, give me a goose bump.

Skinned, Robin Wasserman - Again, good cover.

Tantalize, Cynthia Leicht Smith - I read Eternal not too long ago, and wrote about it in this blog. It was great and I hope Tantalize is more of the same.

And this list doesn't include the newest installments from some of my favorite authors: John Grisham, Michael Connely, Patricia Cornwell, James Patterson (he writes so fast, I can't keep up.), Joseph Finder, Steve Martini, Lisa Scottoline and many more.

There isn't enough time to keep up on all the reading I have to do (like business stuff for work), YA stuff (like the kind of stuff I'm currently writing), and adult suspence mystery (like I've also written, and stuff I love reading).

Maybe I'll just stay out of the book store so I don't get myself all stressed out with another list.

4 comments:

  1. Have you heard of the VAMPIRE Diaries on the CW? It started last night. It's based on LJ Smith's books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!! Since I wrote this post I noticed this show. I DVRed it and watched it. I like it and hope to blog about it. I'm thinking of coining a new phrase...been there, blogged about it. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Been there, blogged it." I think you're on to something, Callaghan. Trixie C

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more thought about LJ Smith. I remember being at a conference where Stephanie Meyer's popularity was all the buzz. A speaker said that teen vampire stories weren't new, and he referenced a series...looking back, I think it was LJ's.
    The season finale of True Blood is this week. I'm looking forward to it. Though that is not PG.

    ReplyDelete