Thursday, April 29, 2010

The thing about vampires...

I can't say I'm crazy about vampires, afterall they're blood sucking monsters. But, I do like vampire stories (movies, TV or book). A current character I'm working on, (Sydney McMacken) and I have a similar view on the subject: We dig the movies, but the thought of the ACTUAL vampire coming in the house through a window, scares the pants off us.
I watch True Blood and The Vampire Diaries, and I've read the first couple of Twilight books. Here's the thing I have trouble with: If Vampires are old, like really old, why do they want to be in high school? I mean, if I was 110 ten years old and independently wealthy (ever notice how they have access to large sums of money?), I think the last thing I'd choose to do would be to go to high school. Maybe I'd hit a few good high school parties, but enroll in school, no way. Don't you think they'd be smarter and perhaps more mature than the average teen? Apparently not.
I'm only half-heartedly picking on teen vampire flicks, because while I didn't think New Moon was very good, I've seen it three times. I guess that says something. An added benefit is that each time I see it, it inspires me to write thinking of Stephanie Meyer and all of her wonderful success.

1 comment:

  1. It's how they fit in society: if they're gonna stay somewhere for a few years, and the older-looking ones are gonna work, people might question why aren't the "children" at school.

    ReplyDelete