Friday, February 12, 2010

9 Dragons


I've blogged about Michael Connelly before, maybe several times. Maybe I've got a thing for him. Okay, I know I have a thing for him. I raced to get to the top of the library's CD list for his latest, 9 DRAGONS, which I listened to it in the car. I like having a book in the car, but since I am rarely in the car alone, it takes me a while to get through an audio book unless I'm on a trip. So, Michael and I took a drive alone to the mountains. It wasn't quite as romantic as it sounds, but it was still a good opportunity to listen to 9 DRAGONS.
My favorite detective Harry Bosche was on a very personal investigation that took him to Hong Kong.
For Bosche fans 9 DRAGONS pulls together lots of great seeds from past Connelly books: The rat tunnels of Vietnam, his brother Mickey Haller who works out of the backseat of his Lincoln, and the three loves in his life: his ex Elonore Wish, his daughter Maddie, and Los Angeles. But it also opens a whole new world including Asian gangs, Hong Kong, and a very personal side of Bosche and his relationship with his ex-wife and daughter. I didn't love the idea of taking Harry out of LA and making him a father figure because it was a significant change from who he was and why I loved him.
In the end it all worked and I enjoyed the book, err... I mean CDs, very much. More or less than other installments? Maybe not as much, but in all fairness, the bar there is set unrealistically high.

No comments:

Post a Comment